Hardwood floors can be easy to maintain and keep looking beautiful with a few simple to follow tips. The majority of this advice is common sense with the main things to keep in mind being not to allow water to remain on the floor and to keep sharp abrasive objects away from the floor. If you do these helpful items you will keep your hardwood floors looking great for longer!
1. Keep water away! Water is woods #1 enemy and any time there is a spill on your hardwood floor you should address the situation immediately by removing the spill with a dry towel or dry vacuum.
2. Use floor carpets in areas that will have high foot traffic. If you know that your guests and family will be occupying particular areas of your home at a consistent basis then maybe you should use a large carpet to protect your floor from the effects.
3. Do not drag your furniture when moving it. I have seen countless abrasions and scuffs from homeowners accidentally dragging their furniture when moving it. If your furniture is light enough it is a good idea to pick it up when relocating. If your piece is too large to pick up a sliding pad should be used to move it to its new spot.
4. Use doormats to collect dirt and moisture. This will reduce the amount residue left on the wood floor.
5. Use a soft bristled broom or dry vacuum to pick up the dirt on your hardwood floor. Using a soft bristled broom can help remove the larger grit and not damage the floor in the process. The dry vacuum is especially useful in cleaning hardwood floors as it removes the majority of the dirt, even in the harder to reach creases between panels.
By employing these 5 techniques into your monthly household chores you can keep your hardwood floors looking amazing for years. In future posts we will address specific stains and hardwood mishaps with the best ways to address the issues. If you ever have any questions regarding your hardwood floors please give your local pros a call. We offer free in-home consultations in the Atlanta area.